Converting a manual gas fireplace to remote control or replacing it is SUPER easy and simple. Just you need to have a gas fireplace remote control kit and install it. And it’s all when you are wondering to know how to convert manual gas fireplace to remote control one.
And interestingly, after the conversion, you will discover that you can start your gas fireplace just with a simple click which is only possible with a modern fireplace.
But to make it happen, you need to know how to install a gas fireplace remote control. Right? So, now let’s know the installation process…
Table of Contents
- How To Convert Manual Gas Fireplace To Remote Control
- Step 1: Get A Smart Thermostat Remote And Receiver
- Step 2: Install The Battery Into The Transmitter
- Step 3: Insert Battery Into Receiver
- Step 4: Operating The Receiver Fireplace Remote
- Step 5: Perform The Learn Function
- Step 6: Install The Receiver
- Step 7: Test The Remote Control Function
- Benefits Of Adding Remote Control To Manual Gas Fireplace
- Cost Of Converting Manual Gas Fireplace To Remote Control
- How To Operate The Gas Fireplace Remote Control
- How To Reset Remote For Gas Fireplace
- How To Start A Gas Fireplace Without A Remote/Manually
- How To Light A Gas Fireplace Without A Key
- How To Turn On Gas Fireplace With Wall Key
- How To Light Your Gas Fireplace Without An Ignitor
- How To Light A Gas Fireplace Without Electricity
- Convert Gas Fireplace Pilot To Electronic Ignition
- Cost Of Converting Gas Fireplace To Electric
- Final Words
How To Convert Manual Gas Fireplace To Remote Control
Here are the simple steps for your gas fireplace remote control conversion. Follow the steps and have your desired remote control converted gas fireplace and ensure a cozy living place for you.
Step 1: Get A Smart Thermostat Remote And Receiver
For the gas fireplace remote control conversion with an electronic ignition system, initially you need to have one of the smart thermostats that are user-friendly, safe, and reliable. Here SkyTech Thermostat or a universal fireplace remote control can be a great option for you.
The thermostat will come with a transmitter and a fireplace remote receiver. After getting the transmitter and receiver, simply follow the steps given below for your gas fireplace remote control installation. You will find your existing manual gas fireplace as a smart remote control one.
Step 2: Install The Battery Into The Transmitter
When you get the thermostat, it’s time to install the battery into both. First, you need to have 2/4 AAA size 1.5 V batteries. Then remove the battery cover and insert all the batteries.
Make sure the batteries are inserted in the right position of the (+) & (-) position. And for better performance, it’s recommended to have Alkaline batteries as the batteries come with long life. Once you have inserted the batteries, replace the battery cover.
Step 3: Insert Battery Into Receiver
Here you have to insert 4 AA size 1.5 batteries into the receiver. Alkaline batteries are suggested to use for maximum performance and long life as they are known as the best performer.
Remember new batteries are preferable and important for better operation. Carefully open the battery cover and install the batteries in the (+) and (-) position.
Step 4: Operating The Receiver Fireplace Remote
Now, you will find 3 modes ON, OFF, and REMOTE in front of the receiver. If you keep the fireplace switch in the on position, the receiver will stay On until you slide it to the remote or off position.
And when you slide the switch into the OFF position, the device will remain OFF. Now, if you slide the switch into the remote mode which you will find in the center, the receiver will work if it gets the signal or command from the transmitter.
It’s advisable that if you stay away from the home for a long time, it’s safe to keep the switch in the OFF position. Even if the receiver is placed at the reaching position of the children, it’s recommended to slide the switch into the OFF position.
Step 5: Perform The Learn Function
In front of the receiver, you will get the LEARN button. Take a pencil or a small screwdriver and press the learn button.
After pressing the learn button, you will get a signal, and thus the receiver gets paired with the transmitter. It indicates that the receiver is ready to use or function with the transmitter.
Step 6: Install The Receiver
The time has come to install the receiver into the gas valve. Most of the gas fireplace valves will be found on the front of the valve. In your existing gas valve, you will get 3 terminals to connect wires namely TH, TP & TH/TP.
You need to connect the 2 wires from your receiver to the TH & TH/TP port. After connecting the receiver wires to the valve port, your remote is ready to function.
Note: Keep the receiver away from the valve and make sure it’s away from the overheat of the fireplace mantel.
Step 7: Test The Remote Control Function
Now your remote control is ready to function. Press the setting button on the remote and set the necessary programs in the remote according to your need.
And it’s all to add a remote control to a gas fireplace. Now, test all to make sure your fireplace is working perfectly with your newly installed remote.
You can also watch the video for a better understanding and make the gas fireplace remote control adding process more simple.
Benefits Of Adding Remote Control To Manual Gas Fireplace
You will get several advantages by adding remote control to your manual gas fireplace.
- First of all, it offers the best comfort with the best output while operating.
- Also, you will get more physical warmth from the remote control one.
- If you want to get rid of the struggles of managing a gas fire, the remote control will be the best substitute for that.
- The more accessible interface will provide you with the advantage of being simpler to operate. Starting of turning on-off to adjusting the temperature can be done by remote control.
- A gas fireplace can spread the heat far from a hundred-square-foot area. So, if you are in the consolation of your budget, it is a good recommendation to go with a remote control fireplace.
Cost Of Converting Manual Gas Fireplace To Remote Control
Already you know, to convert your manual gas fireplace to remote control, you need to have a smart thermostat and receiver.
Here a quality thermostat will cost you about $150-$300. The price ranges differ in their quality and the compatibility of your fireplace.
If you want to have a high-quality programmable thermostat remote control with a backlit LCD touchscreen from Skytech, it will cost you up to $210. But, when you will get one without a touchscreen, you can get a quality thermostat from Skytech for $130-$160.
On the other hand, if you get one from Durable, you can have a Durablow Gas Fire Fireplace Remote Control with Thermostat and Timer for between $80-85.
Lastly, if you feel trouble installing all of the components, you may have to hire a technician. So, the overall cost of converting your gas fireplace to remote control will be $200-$350.
How To Operate The Gas Fireplace Remote Control
In every gas fireplace remote control, you will see three modes there. The first one is “On”, by which you can manually turn on the fireplace. On the contrary, when you press the OFF button, it will disable the remote receiver and turn off the fireplace.
The remote mode will help you to handle the transmitter. You have to slide the receiver off mode before installing the fireplace and slide back to the remote after installation. Additionally, you can set your unit to either manual mode or thermostat mode.
In manual mode, you can adjust the height of the flame and temperature on your own. On the contrary, you can set the room’s temperature on thermostat mode.
Always set the thermostat temperature higher than the current room temperature.
How To Reset Remote For Gas Fireplace
Sometimes, you may face various problems with the remote of your gas fireplace. To operate the unit again, there needs to be reset the remote, and it is best to troubleshoot any issue with the remote. If your remote control is malfunctioning, go through the following steps:
- Before starting, you have to remove the front of your gas firebox.
- Make sure that your fireplace is cool.
- Then, you will see a control model underneath the fireplace.
- Check the on-off control tab where it is in the Remote position.
- Move the tab into the OFF position.
- Leave it for 2 minutes.
- After a while, move the tab back to the Remote position.
- Wait for 2 minutes. Your remote is being reset and ready to use. That’s all the simple way to reset the remote in a gas fireplace.
How To Start A Gas Fireplace Without A Remote/Manually
You can start your gas fireplace without a remote by using the ignition system & button. While turning on your gas fireplace manually, just follow the following steps:
- To turn on your modern gas fireplace without remote control, first, rotate the gas control knob to the pilot position from the Off position.
- Then press the pilot knob of your gas fireplace. It will circulate and send gas to the ignition system.
- Now, press the igniter switch. Now, keep pushing on the ignitor button until your burner will light. It may take a little long time or a few attempts to light the fireplace if you haven’t used your fireplace for the last few months.
How To Light A Gas Fireplace Without A Key
You need a lighter, a piece of paper, and a little crescent to light a gas fireplace without a key. Then, take your hand or some pliers if it’s too tight and turn the crescent counterclockwise.
You need to do this so that you can get your crescent wrench inside to turn your fire on and off.
Next, take the lighter and the piece of paper and go to your fireplace. Light the piece of paper and throw it in the middle of the fireplace.
Then, go to your valve and turn it clockwise slowly. You will hear the gas coming and you can find your fireplace to light up.
How To Turn On Gas Fireplace With Wall Key
Many gas fireplaces come with wall keys or wall switches. And it’s pretty simple to turn on your fireplace with the wall switch and key.
Just turn the wall switch to the On position, and you can find the fireplace pilot to come on.
How To Light Your Gas Fireplace Without An Ignitor
Remove the decorative front and locate the heat or flame control knob (marked as HI and LOW) underneath the unit.
Ensure you set it to the lowest setting. Now, locate the on/off knob. You can find it next to the flame control knob. Set it to P.
And then, turn on the gas valve. Now, hold down the on/off knob and you can hear the gas coming. Next, take a lighter and a piece of paper.
Light the paper and throw it in the middle of the gas logs holding down the on/off knob. And you can find your fireplace to light up.
How To Light A Gas Fireplace Without Electricity
You can find the battery compartment underneath the fireplace. So, remove the decorative front and access the battery compartment.
Now, you should put 2D batteries in the compartment. Then, turn on the switch actuator.
When you set it on, you will get a battery override power to the ignition source. Finally, hit the power button on your remote control and you will get a spark and light your gas fireplace.
Convert Gas Fireplace Pilot To Electronic Ignition
Converting a gas fireplace to an electric start or electronic ignition is not a DIY project. You may need to replace the gas control valve and pilot assembly.
Then, you should spend money on getting an ignition control module, transformer, and AC power source.
Fortunately, the Universal Retrofit Spark Ignition Conversion Kit from Honeywell includes every accessory you need for this conversion. You can also get other kits like the Reznor electronic ignition conversion kit.
Keep in mind; that this conversion wouldn’t be cheap. In parts alone, you may need to push the $500 ballpark. But the main problem is- that it’s not a simple task.
You must have deep knowledge of this conversion workflow. Otherwise, you should find someone willing to do it.
If you are mechanically inclined and get the gas fireplace electronic ignition valve kits from Honeywell already, follow the below steps to convert your fireplace pilot to electronic ignition.
- We assume your gas fireplace has a shut-off valve before a union, and then, the gas valve. You need to remove this gas valve. Regarding this, turn off the power to the unit, shut the gas valve, and split the couplet. Then, pull out the gas valve.
- Prepare the threads, screw the new gas valve into place, and recouple the union.
- Next, remove the thermocouple and its copper line and insert the heat sensor into the thermocouple hole.
- Now, position the electronic spark assembly and run the wire back to the control unit.
- Then, mount the control unit onto the side of the heater. Afterward, insert the appropriate wires into the correction position on the valve and control unit.
- It’s time to open the gas line and check for leaks. If you find leaks, fix them.
- Finally, turn on the power and the thermostat. You will hear the gas valve click and the spark will also click. If it fires up, the gas valve will remain open till the thermostat is fulfilled. And Voila! You complete the conversion workflow.
Cost Of Converting Gas Fireplace To Electric
The gas fireplace electronic ignition valve kits or conversion kits alone will cost you up to $500. Indeed, you need to spend between $600-$1000 to convert a gas fireplace to an electric one.
In short, gas fireplace conversion is a pricey workflow, and it will leave a dent in your wallet.
Can you upgrade the gas fireplace wall switch to a thermostat?
Can you manually light a gas furnace with electronic ignition?
What is millivolt ignition?
Can I add remote control to my gas log set after installation?
How does a millivolt gas valve fireplace work?
What type of gas valve can you add a fireplace switch to?
What kind of switch do you need for a gas fireplace?
What happens if your pilot light goes out on the gas fireplace?
Can you control your gas fireplace with Alexa?
How do you get more heat from your gas fireplace?
Do you need a gas log set for a gas fireplace?
Do all gas fireplaces have a pilot light?
How often should you have your gas fireplace serviced?
How far away from the fireplace can you activate the fireplace with a remote control?
What is the difference between a gas fireplace and a gas insert?
Which is better vented or ventless gas fireplace?
How many hours can you run a gas fireplace?
What do you do when your gas fireplace won’t light?
What does a natural gas conversion kit do?
How high should flames be in a fireplace?
How do you clean the glass on your fireplace or stove?
Is an electric fireplace better than a gas fireplace insert?
Can you have both a gas and wood-burning fireplace at a time in the same place?
After reading the article, now you are wise enough and know everything to convert a manual gas fireplace to a remote control one. Right?
So, converting a manual gas fireplace into a remote control is SIMPLE for you right at this moment. You just need to get a thermostat and install it following the above easy steps to update your fireplace & make your living space cozy and super comfortable.
Also turning your manual gas fireplace to remote control will help you to operate the fireplace safely when your gas fireplace mantel gets hot.