This is the ultimate guide on your Noritz tankless water heater resetting process. In this guide, we will cover:
- Where is the Noritz reset button located
- How to reset Noritz tankless water heater
- Why do your need to reset your unit
- Why the resetting process doesn’t work and so on.
Hope, these complete resetting instructions will help you resolve the common problems of your unit and save your pocket. So, keep on reading and learn how to restart your Noritz water heater successfully.
Table of Contents
- Where Is The Noritz Reset Button Located
- How To Reset Noritz Tankless Water Heater
- Method 1: Flipping The Breaker
- Method 2: Unplugging The Power Cord
- Why Do You Need To Reset Your Noritz Tankless Water Heater
- What Should You Do If the Resetting Process Doesn’t Work
- How long should I press the reset button to reset a hot water heater?
- What problems couldn’t be fixed with the resetting system?
- How to reset the error code with my Noritz water heater?
- What does the error code 99 mean on a Noritz tankless water heater?
Where Is The Noritz Reset Button Located
If you’re trying to find the reset button on your Noritz tankless water heater, then you won’t find it. That’s because it doesn’t exist. Yes, unfortunately, there is no physical reset button that you can press to reset your Noritz tankless water heater.
But don’t lose your hopes yet. Just because there is no reset button, it doesn’t mean that you can’t reset it. And better yet, the process of resetting the heater is also incredibly easy. Let’s see how you can do it.
How To Reset Noritz Tankless Water Heater
As there is no physical reset button in Noritz tankless heaters, you have to do it manually.
The exact process of doing it depends on whether you’re connected to a power outlet or have circuit breakers. We’ll discuss them both in this guide.
Method 1: Flipping The Breaker
Follow these instructions to reset your heater if its power supply is controlled by circuit breakers:
- Turn the Circuit breaker to the Off position
- Just wait for 30 seconds before attempting to use it again.
- Now, flip up the breaker (To the ON position)
- Press the ON/OFF button on the unit. (Wait for the unit to complete its reset sequence)
Method 2: Unplugging The Power Cord
If your Noritz tankless heater is directly connected to a power cord, you can follow these steps to reset it:
- Remove the power cord from the power outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds or a minute.
- Plug the power cord back on.
- Press the ON/OFF button to restore power to the heater.
So, those were the two methods to reset your Noritz tankless water heater. The basic idea is simple – to turn the heater off and on. Hopefully, you no longer have any doubts about how to reset the heater.
Why Do You Need To Reset Your Noritz Tankless Water Heater
Whenever you face any issues with your heater, your first job should be to reset the heater. If the problem occurs due to any glitches, resetting the heater will normally take care of it. You can reset the heater as a safety precaution before going for some serious fixes.
More often than not, you’d be resetting your water heater to get rid of error codes. Will resetting the heater solve them? Not all the time. You’d have to resolve the underlying issue that caused the error code to pop up in the first place.
To know the error code history, you can also read our ultimate guide on Noritz tankless water heater problems and error codes.
On top of clearing error codes, you will be resetting your unit when it goes through the frequently following detected problems. Such as;
- When your unit isn’t producing hot water
- Water temperature changes after a power failure
- If your unit displays error codes
- After power outages or electrical disruptions
- When the unit goes to an overheating issue
- When the unit tries to ignite but fails
- During any repair and maintenance
What Should You Do If the Resetting Process Doesn’t Work
If the trouble persists with your Noritz tankless water heater after resetting the unit, we bet there could be several reasons behind the fact.
It may be an issue with an error code or malfunction. Whatever, this isn’t a fault with your system but may be issued with your water heater itself. In fact, this may occur if-
- The unit won’t receive any power
- Low water flow
- Safety lockout
- Defective components
However, to troubleshoot the issues, make sure that your unit is getting:
- Enough power supply
- Sufficient water supply
- Adequate gas supply
- And, check the air intake/exhaust vents are clear.
If your heater’s problems don’t fix yet, we strongly suggest you shut off the unit and call a trained plumber or Noritz customer service team to identify the root cause and avoid further damage to your unit.
How long should I press the reset button to reset a hot water heater?
You should press the reset button until you hear a click sound. However, we recommend you press the reset button for at least 5 seconds. You can release the button after hearing the clicking sound.
What problems couldn’t be fixed with the resetting system?
You can easily fix the software issues by resetting your unit. But the problems with circuitry, power, or hardware components related to the heating elements won’t be fixed with a reset.
How to reset the error code with my Noritz water heater?
You can try switching the power to the heater on and off first. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to identify the root reason behind the flashed code and fix it.
What does the error code 99 mean on a Noritz tankless water heater?
Error code 99 indicates abnormal combustion. If resetting the heater didn’t make the error code disappear, call Noritz support right away as it’s a pretty serious issue.
Now, you know how to reset your Noritz tankless water heater effectively. So, whenever you face trouble operating your tankless unit either with an error code or malfunctioning, try resetting the heater first and see if you can get it to work normally again.
If resetting the heater doesn’t do the trick, that means the error code didn’t come because of a glitch. Fix the issue that made the code come up and your heater will work fine. Comment below if you have any further questions about resetting Noritz tankless heaters.