The White Rodgers Intellivent error codes have different meanings attached to them. The most common water heater error codes are discussed here along with their best solutions. Keep on scrolling!
White Rodgers Intellivent Error Codes [9 Easy solutions]
White Rodgers Intellivent error codes show up when the system has self-diagnosed certain issues. Error codes are common in modern home appliances and they save you a lot of money that you’d have to give to an electrician for diagnosis. Now, let’s explore all the White Rodgers Intelli-vent error codes, their meaning and easy solutions.
Note: You can also read White Rodgers water heater thermostat troubleshooting guide.
1. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 1
The White Rodgers Intellivent error code 1 means that your water heater is connected to an open earth ground circuit.
Here’s what you can do to fix this issue.
- Verify that the earth-ground connection between the fuse box or breaker panel and the water heater is correctly connected.
- Check that the water heater’s grounding conductors are correctly connected and secured.
- Inspect the green grounding wire connection on the control valve’s side.
2. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 2
A wiring fault or a high resistance to earth ground is discovered by the self-diagnostic test.
Doing the following things will remove the White Rodgers Intellivent error code 2 from your thermostat control.
- Check that the line neutral and line hot wires are properly connected.
- Make sure that the appliance is properly grounded to the earth.
3. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 3
This error code will show up if, after the request for heat began, the pressure switch stayed closed for more than 5 seconds. If the pressure switch does not open within 5 seconds, this error code will appear.
You can try the following things to solve this issue.
- The wiring for the pressure switch is wrong.
- A jumper has been installed on the pressure switch.
- The pressure switch is broken (contacts inside the switch are permanently closed) and has to be replaced.
4. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 4
If, after the combustion blower is energized, the pressure switch stays open for more than 5 seconds this error code will show up.
Here’s what you need to do to fix this error code.
- The wiring for the pressure switch is faulty or disconnected.
- The pressure switch tubing is not properly attached or has been pinched.
- Obstructions or limits in the exhaust venting of the water heater. To rule out venting, remove the venting and recycle. If the device switches to the main burner, the issue is with the venting. Replace the inducer/pressure switch if the code appears again.
- The vent over-temperature switch, if it’s on or if it’s broken.
5. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 5
This error code shows up when the Hot Surface Igniter circuit has a fault, according to the self-diagnostic test.
The following steps should help you out with getting rid of error code 5.
- Verify that the Molex wiring harness is properly connected and secured.
- Disconnect the ignitor connector and use an ohmmeter to measure the ignitor resistance between pins 1 and 2. Between 11.5 and 18.8 ohms of resistance should be used.
- Replace the Hot Surface Ignitor assembly if the reading is inaccurate.
- Replace the Intelli-VentTM control if all of the aforementioned checks pass.
6. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 6
The system is locked out because the maximum number of ignition retries or recycles has been achieved. (This signifies the control had no flame rectification to validate the primary burner.) This is one of the more common White Rodgers Intellivent gas valve error codes.
You can check on the following things to fix your water heater.
- Check to see whether the gas supply is turned off or is too low to function.
- Verify that the flame sense rod is appropriately positioned and clear of pollution. Reposition the flame sense rod or use an abrasive cloth to clean it softly. (For flame rod placement, see the final page.)
- The Hot Surface Ignitor may not be properly installed on the burner. As needed, reposition. (For the optimum setting of the hot surface igniter and flame probe, see the final page.)
- The water heater has a low voltage. (Recycle power and gaze through a sight glass window to see if the hot surface ignitor glows.) If your ignitor is glowing, the issue is most likely fuel-related.)
- The Thermal Release Device has been damaged or is not present. In the combustion chamber, there is no oxygen.
- There is insufficient fresh air inside the combustion chamber to support combustion.
- The burner orifice is obstructed or restricted; the main burner supply tubing is clogged, deformed, or restricted.
7. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 7
A fault with the gas valve driver circuit was discovered during the self-diagnostic test.
Taking these steps can solve your issue.
- Turn off and on the power to the water heater for 10 seconds.
- If the issue persists, the Intelli-VentTM control has to be changed. White Rodgers Intellivent parts are available online easily.
8. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 8
If this error code shows up on your Intelli-Vent, then a fault with the internal microcomputer was discovered during the self-diagnostic test.
Here are the steps you can take to get rid of error code 8.
- Turn off the water heater for 10 seconds and then turn it back on.
- If the issue persists, the Intelli-VentTM control has to be changed.
9. White Rodgers Intellivent Error Code 9
The internal circuit had a fault, according to the self-diagnostic test
Taking the following measures should help you get rid of this error code.
- Turn off the water heater for 10 seconds and then turn it back on.
- If the issue persists, the Intelli-VentTM control must be replaced.
What does flammable vapor sensor lockout mean?
FV Sensors are safety devices found on some water heater types that produce a soft lockout (a.k.a. the unit shutting off) when flammable vapors are detected near the unit, preventing them from igniting.
Should I turn off my hot water heater when I go on vacation?
While it’s not a good idea to turn off a water heater altogether, putting it in vacation mode can save you a lot of energy and money while you’re away.
How do I set my hot water heater to vacation mode?
If your hot water heater doesn’t have a vacation option, drop the temperature to 50 degrees Fahrenheit, or the lowest setting your thermostat permits, to simulate Vacation Mode. You can also choose to turn off your hot water heater.
Can a water heater explode?
It is a possibility. The temperature of the water inside the tank could rise to the point where it produces steam if the heating element and/or thermostat fail. If the situation worsens and there is no way to release the steam, the hot water tank may explode due to the rising pressure.
How many years does a water heater last?
It would be wonderful to know when it’s time to replace your water heater before it bursts and produces a mess or, worse, damage to your home. A household hot water heater typically lasts 6 to 13 years. You’re on borrowed time after 12 years!
It is tough to remember the meaning of each Intelli vent control error code. We recommend you bookmark this guide if you found it helpful. It can be a pain to look for resources online. Hopefully, your water runs just fine after you follow our guide. Enjoy the hot showers!