If your Dyna Glo heater is not working, then don’t worry because in this article we will be discussing the 5 reasons why your Dyna Glo heater won’t stay lit and what you can do about them. These 5 reasons are bad thermopile, dirty pilot burner orifice, excessive airflow in the system, lack of oxygen supply, dirty pilot feed.
By the end of this article, you will learn to fix your Dyna Glo heater very easily. So keep on reading.
5 Reasons Dyna Glo Heater Won’t Stay Lit [Easy Solutions]
Fixing a Dyna Glo propane heater that won’t stay lit can be challenging. But if you know the right method, it will be easy as cake. Here’s everything you need to know.
Problem 1: Bad Thermocouple
The thermocouple is an important part of Dyna Glo heater. It signals the system to allow or block the gas flow to the burner. However, if the thermocouple gets damaged in any way, it sends the wrong signal and eventually shuts off the burner without any cause. This can be a good reason why a heater doesn’t stay lit.
If you have this issue, you have to replace the thermocouple. Here’s how to do it:
- Open up the front panel of the device
- Expose the main control board
- Locate the thermocouple near the control board
- Disconnect it from its wire connections
- Pull out the faulty thermocouple
- Install a new thermocouple in its place
- Put everything back on
Now that your heater has a new thermocouple installed, the device should run just fine.
Problem 2: Dirty Pilot Burner Orifice
Pilot light is an indication that there is a consistent gas supply. And as we discussed earlier, the thermocouple gets a signal from this pilot light and determines the gas supply in the system. So if the pilot light shuts off for any reason, the thermocouple will send a signal to turn off the whole system. The pilot light usually shuts off due to a dirty burner orifice.
The main issue here is the clogged pilot burner orifice. You may have to either clean it or replace it as a whole. Here’s how to clean it:
- Disconnect the device from its power
- Unscrew and open up the device to expose the interior
- Locate the pilot light burner
- Remove this pilot light burner
- Find the pilot burner orifice right beneath the burner
- Pull out the burner and clean the obstructions with a thin bristled brush
- If the orifice is beyond cleaning, take a new one and set it in the old ones place
Once everything is set, put the device back together. Now the pilot light should work just fine and your Dyna Glo should consistently stay on as well.
Problem 3: Too Much Airflow
Your heater needs airflow to stay active. However, excessive airflow in the system can cause your Dyna Glo to shut off. Excessive airflow mainly blows out the ignition and thus causes the ignition failure of the heater.
The most probable reason behind too much airflow in the Dyna Glo heater is any kind of leakage in the device. So observe the whole heater thoroughly bit by bit. Once you locate the point of leakage, fix it in the following way:
- Clean the spot first by wiping it
- Apply a mixture of cement on the leaking point(s)
- Let the cement dry on its own
- Colour the cement matching the heater once the cement paste is dry
- Turn on the device. If the problem remains, look for further leakage points
Once you have sealed all the holes, the heater should get back to work.
Problem 4: Oxygen Scarcity
Just like excessive airflow can be the reason why your Dyna Glo heater won’t stay lit, lack of air can cause the same problem as well. The scarcity of oxygen doesn’t allow the heat to stay active for longer. This is why the most common sign that oxygen scarcity is the issue is when you plug in your Dyna Glo heater, it will slowly turn off.
The lack of airflow mainly results from the dirty air vents. Blocked air vents obstruct the essential air supply. So you have to clean the vent to solve the problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Start off by unplugging the device
- Wipe the vent path clean
- Use a brush to thoroughly clean the vent
- Use a can of compressed air to clear off further dust from the vent path
- Finally, open up the side of the air vent and clean the dusts accumulated there
- Put everything back on
Once you’ve successfully cleaned the air vent, your Dyna Glo will turn back to normal.
Problem 5: Obstructed Pilot Feed
Previously we have discussed how a blocked pilot burner orifice can be the reason why your Dyna Glow won’t stay on. Another similar reason for this issue is obstructed pilot feed.
The pilot feed is the path that allows gas flow to the pilot light to keep it burning. If something such as a spider web or debris is stuck in the pilot feed, the fuel will not pass through to keep the pilot lit. As a result, the thermocouple will signal the system to turn off the device.
As you have probably already guessed, you have to clean the pilot feed. Here’s how to do it,
- Turn off the heater
- Unscrew the heater panel and expose the inside of the heater
- Locate the pilot light
- Remove the pilot light burner to locate the pilot feed tube right under it
- Use a strong wire to clean whatever is stuck in the tube
- If the tube is already cracked or damaged in anyway, get a new one and install it instead
- Put everything back on before turning on the device.
Your Dyna Glo should burn just fine with the new pilot feed tube.
Now that you know the solution to the Dyna Glo propane heater won’t stay lit, you will no longer have such an issue.
How do you know if you have a bad thermocouple?
The best way to know about a bad thermocouple is to notice if the flame light goes out when the gas control knob is released after holding it for 30 seconds.
Why is my heater not shutting off?
The most common reason why a heater doesn’t shut off is a bad thermostat.
How much does it cost to fix a heater?
If you consult a professional, fixing a heater can cost around $300.
How often should a heater be cleaned?
You should clean your Dyna Glo heater at least once a year.
How much BTU does Dyna Glo heater produce?
A Dyna Glo heater produces around 65,000 BTU’s of heat.
Dyna Glo is a great heater. But it can have certain problems, such as not staying lit. But if you follow the method we discussed in this article, you shouldn’t run into this problem anymore. However, if you do face any difficulty, let us know in the comment below.