Rec Tec Auger Jam or Rec Tec Auger Stuck is a common yet serious grill issue every grill owner faces. Putting wet pellets, obstructions in the hopper or defective auger motor are responsible for the auger issues.
If the auger gets clogged, it fails to feed the wood pellets from the hopper to the fire-pot. And when the pellets don’t get into the fire-pot, you can’t ignite the grill to smoke or cook the meat.
So, clearing a jammed auger in a pellet grill using a tool like a chisel is a must to let your Rec Tec function properly. Fortunately, we compiled this troubleshooting guide to solve the auger jam issue. Without further ado, let’s get into this article right here.
Reasons Behind Rec Tec Auger Jam & Not Turning + How To Fix
The auger of any pellet grills, whether it comes from Rec Tec or others, moves the wood pellets from the hopper to the ignite.
If it gets clogged, you can’t ignite or light your pellet grill. In this chapter, we will break down why and how to clear the auger jam.
1. Low-Quality Pellets
Putting low-quality or moist pellets is the main culprit behind a clogged auger. When you use wet pellets, they turn into sawdust and get stuck with the auger.
Sometimes, the sawdust gets so hard that the auger can’t break it into parts. Consequently, the wet pellets or sawdust clog or jam the auger. Plus, it will make your grill auger making loud noise.
You can easily overcome this issue if you take some precautions beforehand. Avoid putting wet or moist pellets in the hopper. Make sure the wood pellets you add are dry and fresh.
Another suggestion is to not store or keep the pellets in the hopper after cooking. Remove the pellets from the hopper after every cook and store them in a dry place.
2. Foreign Objects In The Hopper
The next reason that is responsible for a jammed auger is the foreign objects that get into the hopper. Foreign objects can easily get into the hopper when you fill it with wood pellets.
This foreign object goes into the auger and auger tube and makes them clog as the auger fails to break it down. Sometimes a tiny screw or nail is responsible for a jammed auger.
Vacuuming out the hopper can easily get rid of the foreign objects from the hopper. So, remove the wood pellets from the hopper and inspect the hopper for obstructions. Then, use a vacuum to suck away pellets or any objects from the hopper.
Rec Tec Auger Not Turning
From the previous chapter, you learned why the Rec Tec Auger gets clogged. Yes, those reasons are also responsible for the auger not turning. In this chapter, we will highlight some unique reasons that cause the auger to not turn.
1. You May Set The Temp Knob Too Low
The auger is turning but slowly. It is because you set the temperature knob too low. At a low setting, the auger turns slowly to feed wood pellets into the fire-pot at a slow rate. So, it seems that the auger is not turning.
Fixing this auger issue is simple. Just set the temperature knob to the MAX position. It will help to turn the auger quickly and feed the pellets at a continuous rate.
2. Missing Shear Pin or Bolt
The tiny shear pin or bolt is responsible for turning the auger. If the shear pin gets sheared, the auger will not turn. But the auger motor will still turn.
And when the auger is not turning, it’s impossible to feed the wood pellets from the hopper to the fire-pot.
If the shear pin is missing, we recommend you call customer service to get a new one. Then, attach it to the auger to fix the auger issue.
3. Defective Rec Tec Auger Motor
Lastly, the auger won’t turn if the auger motor gets defective. Due to this, the auger of your gill will completely stop functioning. Now, you may ask- how can I understand that the motor gets faulty?
Sime, clean the wood pellets and obstructions from the hopper. Now, turn the grill on. If the auger is not turning, it’s time to replace the auger motor.
Replacing the auger motor is the only solution to fix this issue. So, get a new part and replace it. If you don’t know how to replace the auger motor, continue to scroll down.
Rec Tec Auger Motor Replacement [Step-By-Step Guide]
This chapter will let you learn how to replace the auger motor on Rec Tec. Besides, we will also show you how to unclog the auger if the motor doesn’t get faulty.
- First off, remove the bottom two screws on both sides of the access panel. Once you remove those screws, pull out the access panel.
- Now, you can find the auger motor sitting on the shelf. The only thing that holds it in place is a bolt that goes through the output shaft of the auger motor and the auger itself.
- Next, look for the shear bolt which is located between the outfit shaft and the input shaft of the auger. If the shear pin is missing, the auger will turn but it won’t turn the auger shaft. Consequently, the auger will not feed pellets in the fire-pot. In this case, you need to get a new shear pin and install it.
- Afterward, remove the set screws at the nine o’clock and the three o’clock position on the back side. To extract the auger assembly, use a 2.5 metric tool.
- After removing the set screws, use the claw part of a hammer to pry out the auger from the grill.
- In this step, you can clean a jammer auger with ease. Just use sandpaper to clean it evenly. Next, get the chisel to break down the pellets in the tube. Finally, use a paper towel to remove the pellets.
- On the other hand, replace the defective auger motor with a new one.
- Now, put everything back into your grill. Finally, put some wood pellets in the hopper to test whether the auger is turning or not.
To let your Rec Tec Grill function properly, we recommend adding dry and fresh pellets to the hopper. It will not clog the auger as the wet pellets do. Also, make sure no foreign objects get into the auger while filling the hopper with fuel.
If the auger gets clogged, clear the blockage. Regarding this, follow the step-by-step process we mentioned to unclog & replace the auger motor. You can hire a professional if you are not mechanically inclined to do this task.