The major Harman pellet stove igniter problems include insufficient voltage supply, the defective coil inside, and cracked wires. Sometimes the complete igniter elements become faulty. For these reasons, that starts Harman pellet stove not igniting issue.
Anyway, to fix this annoying issue with your pellet stove, you will require some quick and effective steps. And to know those instant solutions, go on reading our comprehensive Harman pellet stove troubleshooting guide.
Harman Pellet Stove Igniter Problems [5 Easy Solutions]
From below, you will get detailed solutions with fully explained reasons. So Let’s get started and fix the issue now.
1. Insufficient Voltage Supply
A bad igniter first identifies the improper voltage supply within it. When there is not enough power supply to operate its functions, it starts malfunctioning. On the contrary, when there is perfect resistance and voltage, it allows electricity to flow through the circuit.
So, to fix the igniter problem, your first step will measure the voltage of the igniter. Here are the effective procedures:
- First of all, take a voltmeter to measure the voltage.
- Place the red and black terminals on each end of the igniter wire and start measuring the lowest voltage value.
- A good igniter has a voltage of 115-120 volts to cycle on.
- If 115-120V is present, but still it is not getting hot, be sure there is a serious issue with the igniter. You have to replace the igniter.
- Also, if there is no power, the issue may be with the fuse or the circuit board. Go through our following section, where you will get detailed information.
How To Do A Bench Test On The Igniter
This section is for those who don’t have any voltage to measure the power supply. When you test a part outside of the stove refers to a bench test. Follow the below process to perform a bench test.
- First, place the igniter on a non-combustible surface, or you may use a clamp to hold the igniter.
- Now, use a proper spade connector to connect the wires with the corresponding wires of the igniter.
- Then, plug the electrical cord into a power strip while a switch is in the off position and plug the strip onto the socket.
- Now turn off the switch. If there is proper voltage, it will glow red after 2 minutes.
2. Blown Fuse
If there is proper voltage in the igniter, blown fuses are the culprit. Somehow, they may get burned or defected, and the entire significant element of the stove stops working. Also, the igniter has a fuse itself.
It may get defected for overheating or any other cause. In some cases, the wires attached to the igniter may be short-circuited or cracked. That also affects the normal working of the igniter.
- Check the fuse of your Harman Pellet Stove. If it has already blown, don’t be late to replace it.
- Besides, verify that the fuse of the igniter is well working.
- Now, check all the visible working of the igniter and power line. Tighten the wires if you find any loose ones.
- If all fuses okay, a defective circuit board may be the issue. Though it is rare, it will be better to contact a technician.
3. Clogged Igniter Element
If your pellet stove igniter not working, blockage inside of this is one of the main reasons. A dirty stove and its heating elements always created obstacles to the fluent operation of the stove. It is needed to clean the stove periodically. Anyways, if it is so long to clean the igniter, it is the time when you are trying to resolve the ignition problem.
How To Clean The Igniter On A Harman Pellet Stove
- First of all, turn off the stove and unplug it.
- Allow the stove to get cool for a while.
- Now, open the firebox door to inspect the igniter.
- Take a brush and start brushing the dust and debris for it.
- There may have stuck soot and ashes on the igniter. Wipe down them properly using a damp cloth.
- After that, brush the ash pan as well.
- Finally, close the firebox door and turn back on the stove.
4. Igniter Coil Broken
Usually, there is a coil inside the igniter. The heat produces from the coil helps to ignite the extremely flammable wood pellets. If somehow it breaks, the igniter starts operating partially. When this type of problem happens, the igniter will not get fully hot or glow red.
The only solution is to replace the coil of the igniter. If replacing a failing ignition coil seems hard to you, contact the Harman support center to get help or a technician for the replacement job.
5. Defective Igniter Itself
Sometimes the complete igniter becomes defective and stops working. Here, you will require to replace the igniter quickly. One can easily replace this element at home. Below, we have inside the working process to replace it.
How To Replace Igniter On Harman Pellet Stove
- Before moving through the replacement, make sure you have turned off the stove, and it is completely cool.
- Now start by removing the back of the stove.
- You will see wires connected with a plug. Disconnect the plug.
- Now, to remove the igniter, use pliers and disconnect the cover plate.
- Slowly pull the old igniter and place the new igniter in the right way.
- Place the cover plate back there and twist the ear tub to connect it tightly.
- Connect the igniter wires with the plug and put them in the feeder body.
- Finally, connect the back panel and screw it.
How To Start Pellet Stove Without Igniter
The process refers to manually igniting the pellet stove. Go through the below steps to perform it:
- The first step is filling the hoper with the wood pellets.
- When it is filling the burn pot with the pellets, set the heating in the lower position.
- When the combustion blower starts, put some gel accelerant on the pellets.
- Now, light the pelts and gel mixture using a lighter or match. Wear fire-resistant gloves for safety purposes.
- Finally, close the door and adjust the heat.
Still, wondering about the igniter problem in the pellet stove? Hopefully not. We can expect that our discussion has reached enough information for you and now can conveniently fix your stove’s issue.
After reading this article, if you are confused about any of the factors, find us with you. Just leave a comment blew, and we will reply to you ASAP.