Here’s all you need to know about how to use meat probe in masterbuilt smoker & troubleshooting…
What Is Meat Probe?
A meat probe is a thermometer that can be inserted into the meat with its metal stem. It shows us the internal temperature of the meat. Using this, we can be assured that the meat is adequately cooked, smoked, or cooled.
There is some fixed temperature for quite all the smoking meat recipes. So, using a Meat Probe has a significant impact to make your cooked food super delicious. Here to make your cooking task simple, today, we will tell you all about:
- How to use Meat Probe in a Masterbuilt smoker.
- What effect a Meat Probe has on the overall smoking experience?
- How to detect Meat Probe errors and solve them.
We believe if you go through all the information we have covered, you will be capable of cooking juicy smoked food finally like a pro. So, let’s read…
Table of Contents
- What Is Meat Probe?
- How To Use Meat Probe In Masterbuilt Smoker?
- How To Use Meat Probe In Masterbuilt Smoker [4 Easy Steps]
- Masterbuilt Smoker Meat Probe Errors
- Masterbuilt Gravity Series Meat Probe Replacement
- What temperature does meat stop taking smoke?
- Can you leave a thermometer in the meat while smoking?
- Where do I put the thermometer in my smoker?
- Where do you place a pit probe?
- Where do you put the temperature probe in a turkey?
- Can you use a meat probe for ambient temperature?
- What temperature should a BBQ be?
- Does a Meat thermometer work in liquid?
- What is the best temperature for BBQ Chicken?
How To Use Meat Probe In Masterbuilt Smoker?
These days some Masterbuilt smokers have integrated Meat Probe to read the internal meat temperature using various types, such as:
- Meat Probe Digital Thermometer
- Meat Probe Wireless Thermometer
- Meat Probe Bluetooth Thermometer
But, if you don’t have one, you can get a high-quality digital thermometer to read the actual temperature of internal meat. However, whichever thermometer you get, it should be used with some specific regulations:
How To Use Meat Probe In Masterbuilt Smoker [4 Easy Steps]
Here are the easy steps to use a meat probe-
Step 1: Calibrate the Probe to make sure it works perfectly.
Step 2: Insert the Meat Probe into the thickest part of the meat. Avoid the Probe from touching any bone, which can cause a misreading of the internal meat temperature.
Step 3: In the case of Dual-System, you can connect the Meat Probe to the grate that is also connected to the control system. This will enable you to monitor both the meat temperature and the Masterbuilt smoker temperature.
Step 4: Then monitoring readings from the Digital Probe, you can adjust the temperature according to your requirement. The meat is finally ready to be served after going through these simple steps.
Masterbuilt Smoker Meat Probe Errors
There are two reasons to think that your Masterbuilt smoker meat probe is not working.
- Delivering inaccurate temperature readings.
- Delivering no reading at all.
The Ultimate Solution
You can have two types of solutions for the Meat Probe misreadings.
1. Masterbuilt Meat Probe Calibration
For recalibrating a Meat Probe thermometer, the Ice-Point method is renowned. The steps for recalibrating are as follows:
- Take a cup filled up with shattered ice and enough water to float them.
- Insert the metal stem of the Probe into the cup and make sure it stays in between the sides or the bottom of the cup.
- If the needle doesn’t show 0°C or 32°F (Ice-point temperature), it needs to be readjusted. If the Probe thermometer has a calibration nut, it can be fixed by turning the nut using a small wrench.
These all are simple ways to calibrate your meat probe thermometer.
2. Masterbuilt Meat Probe Replacement
In the case of a Digital Meat Probe, the thermometer can not be adjusted and needs to be replaced. The best way is to look out for the support of Masterbuilt officials.
The other scenario is to replace the Meat Probe manually. The steps regarding this are as follows:
- Look for the connection hole between the Probe and the Smoker.
- Remove all the screws attached to the frame under the control panel.
- Removing the frame, you will find out the connection port between the Probe and the control panel.
- Connect the new Meat Probe to the control panel.
Masterbuilt Gravity Series Meat Probe Replacement
The latest additions of Masterbuilt Gravity series smokers feature port prove in their cooking chamber.
So, it is very easy now to replace a Meat Probe for them. To replace the Meat Probe you should:
- Look for a probe port available in the control panel.
- Disconnect the old probe.
- Plug in the new Meat Probe.
- Check if the new one works perfectly using the ice-point method.
Alternatively, you can watch the video on how to replace the meat probe in the Masterbuilt smoker.
What temperature does meat stop taking smoke?
If you leave the meat in a smoker, it will take smoke as long as it is getting it. There is no time limit. Yet you should know the smoke ring stops growing when the meat hits 170°F.
Can you leave a thermometer in the meat while smoking?
Yes, you can leave your thermometer in the meat while cooking food. But, remember to connect the thermometer to your meat probe. Then you have to push the meat probe into your meat while cooking. Thus you can simply monitor the meat’s internal temperature through your thermometer from the smoker outside. It doesn’t require you to open the smoker.
Where do I put the thermometer in my smoker?
You need to place the thermometer in the thickest part of your cooking meat to get the actual meat temperature. But, if you are using a meat probe, you can connect it to the thermometer through the wire. Then, insert the meat probe inside the meat and your thermometer outside the smoker. And, you can easily monitor the meat’s inner temperature.
Where do you place a pit probe?
A pit probe is used to measure the closest heat to the cooking meat. You should clip it at the base of the meat probe. Make sure to avoid contact with the meat.
Where do you put the temperature probe in a turkey?
A turkey requires a certain temperature to be perfectly cooked. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey thigh, where the turkey breast begins. When the temperature is 165 degrees, the dish is ready.
Can you use a meat probe for ambient temperature?
Meat probes are designed to measure the overall temperature of the cooking environment. It may not be accurate when in the air. Using meat probes for ambient air causes too much accuracy. It’s wise not to expect a Meat Probe to respond instantly to temperature changes.
What temperature should a BBQ be?
A properly heated grill should be
- 400-450°F for high heat.
- 350-400°F for medium-high heat.
- 300-350°F for medium heat.
- 250-300°F for low heat.
Does a Meat thermometer work in liquid?
It is usually used in a liquid to calibrate the thermometer so you can be assured of the working ability of the Meat thermometer. If you put it in a cup filled with water and floating ice the temperature should be 32°F.
What is the best temperature for BBQ Chicken?
A BBQ Chicken is perfectly cooked at an internal temperature of 165°F. To acquire that, heat the grill to between 425°F and 450°F for as long as 5 minutes on both sides.
A Masterbuilt smoker can provide you with the best meat-smoking experience. While smoking meat, there are different temperatures required to maintain the meat’s quality.
So it is mandatory to monitor the temperature. You can do this job most accurately using a Meat Probe. The good news is that now you know how to use it after reading the article.
Moreover, if you wish to enjoy ultimate smoked food, it’s wise to know how to use your electric smoker perfectly.