What about using pellets in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker? We find this question on different BBQ and Smoking forums. Every enthusiast smoker, maybe he is a pro or newbie, wants to know about this after buying a Masterbuilt digital smoker.
To give a logical answer to this most sought-after question, we are here to help. From this guide, you will learn:
- What’s the manual say about using wood pellets in Masterbuilt electric smokers?
- Should you use wood pellets in an advanced smoker?
- If yes, what will be the recommended volume to put wood pellets that bring no damage or effect in the smoking result?
- And finally 4 pro tips for using pellets in your Masterbuilt electric smoker
So, continue to read till the end of this guide.
Table of Contents
- Manual On Using Pellets In Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- Should You Use Wood Pellets In MasterBuilt Electric Smoker?
- Wood Chips Or Pellets For An Electric Smoker
- 4 Pro Tips On Using Wood Pellets
- How To Use A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?
- Can you use pellets in a char-broil electric smoker?
- How long to smoke a turkey in a masterbuilt electric smoker?
- Can you use pellets in a pit boss electric smoker?
- Can you use wood pellets instead of wood chips?
- Can you use pellets in a propane smoker?
- Is masterbuilt smoker portable?
Manual On Using Pellets In Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
According to the Masterbuilt smoker manual, you shouldn’t use wood pellets in your smoker to smoke foods. Each of the electric smokers from Masterbuilt is specially designed to operate using wood chips only. You can use pellets if you have a pellet smoker or grill.
Here is why Masterbuilt doesn’t recommend using the wood pellet in an electric smoker.
- Pellets are very dense, and there are a lot of compressed woods in them. As a result, it stores more energy and more smoke. If you use or fill the wood tray with pellets, it causes internal issues and affects smoking.
- As the wood pellet is dense, it burns faster. And smoking is a slow cooking process. You never get the juicy flavor if the fuel burns faster and creates less smoke.
- There is also a chance of blowback if you use pellets.
Indeed, the instruction from MasterBuilt represents that you should avoid wood pellets. It doesn’t mean using pellets in an electric smoker is dangerous. To get the precise answer, go for the next step.
Should You Use Wood Pellets In MasterBuilt Electric Smoker?
Though using wood pellets in a MasterBuilt smoker is not recommendable, it doesn’t mean you can’t use them. In simple words, you can use wood pellets to smoke meat or food if you put the right amount of them in the wood tray.
Many of our smoker friends try out pellets, and they trouble no issues. Even we also smoke meat successfully using them without any problems.
Now, you may ask- what is the recommended volume to add pellets in the smoker box?
Only five to seven pieces of the wood pellet are ideal. Using this amount of fuel, you can smoke your food for an hour. To sum up, using pellets in a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is safe if you add a limited volume of them. You can watch the video for a better understanding.
Wood Chips Or Pellets For An Electric Smoker
Wood chips and pellets are the most vital element when you are looking for super juicy smoked results in your cooked foods. But which should be your better option when you are smoking foods with your electric smoker. Here is a short comparison based on the smoke, flavor, and burned grade for your better understanding.
Wood chips are formed from larger wood pieces of wood which are cut out finely to come in small to medium sizes. On the other hand, wood pellets are one type of biofuel, formed from sawdust and industrial wastes.
But if you want to stand up in the comparison in both of them, you will find a bit differences.
In the case of wood pellets, they are more reliable, burn better, and have the ability to evenly burn with a good amount of smoke and smoky flavor. Moreover, it has the advantage of less fuel wastage.
On the contrary, wood chips take a longer time to start up smoking, burn quickly, and provide ample smoke. Also, chips are less cost-effective than pellets. Now, which to use in your electric smoker would depend on your smoker design.
If your smoker is designed for wood chips, you can go with chips for getting a strong smoky flavor. On the opposite, you can also use pellets in your electric smoker for getting smoked results. But, for a perfect, consistent, and strong smoky flavor, it would be wise to use wood chips in your electric smoker.
4 Pro Tips On Using Wood Pellets
Follow the below considerations if you want to smoke with MasterBuilt Electric Smoker by using wood pellets.
Tip 1: Don’t fully load the wood tray with wood pellets. If you do it, you won’t get the perfect amount of smoke and smoke flavor.
Tip 2: Put only five to seven pieces of wood pellets in the smoker box for a better-smoked result.
Tip 3: Use a pellet tube that helps to light the pellets on fire to smoke.
Tip 4: Try to use a mailbox mod. You can find it online. Attach the mailbox mod to your smoker through metal dryer vent tubes. Then, set a pellet tray into the metal mailbox mod. Finally, use the smoker element for heat.
How To Use A Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to use a Masterbuilt electric smoker without any trouble.
- Clean your smoker.
- Firstly, plug the electric cord into an outlet.
- Turn the unit on by pressing the on button
- Preheat your smoker for an hour
- Season your smoker for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Make your meat ready and marinate it.
- Fill the water pan with water.
- Load the rack with meat or food.
- Set the temperature
Here if you struggle with temperature setting and issues, you can learn the methods of solving Masterbuilt smoker temperature issues.
Can you use pellets in a char-broil electric smoker?
Char-broil electric smoker is a unique type of smoker. It has a separate smoker box to use pellets or wood chips. So, you can use wood pellets to smoke meat.
How long to smoke a turkey in a masterbuilt electric smoker?
It takes about 6.5 hours to smoke a turkey in a Masterbuilt electric smoker.
Can you use pellets in a pit boss electric smoker?
Pit Boss Electric Smoker is designed in a way that lets you use wood pellets to smoke meat.
Can you use wood pellets instead of wood chips?
Wood pellets burn slowly and smoke evenly compared to the wood chips. So, you can use the pellet to smoke meat thoroughly.
Can you use pellets in a propane smoker?
If the pellets are made of pure woods, you can use them in a propane smoker.
Is masterbuilt smoker portable?
Yes, masterbuilt is a portable smoker. You can carry it wherever you like and use it as an outdoor smoker.
From the above discussion, it’s clear that you can use wood pellets in MasterBuilt electric smokers to smoke food. However, we recommend you maintain the tips we provided to avoid potential danger.
Now, it’s up to you.
Are you going to try out wood pellets in your Masterbuilt electric smoker? Do you want to know more about this? Then, don’t forget to leave a comment to let us know.